THIS EVENT IS FULL-CLOSED TO ENTRIES
Aims & Rules Clinic
The Aims & Rules Clinic is an educational tool developed by NAVHDA to help dog owners and handlers understand the testing system. The clinics are conducted by designated NAVHDA Senior Judges and Clinic Leaders. Aims & Rules Clinics cover a variety of topics over two days, including informal classroom style instruction on the NAVHDA philosophy, test mechanics, and the scoring system for each test.
Participants will also take to the field and water to judge and score dogs being run in a mock test setting. After each section the participants and the Clinic Leader will discuss the dog’s performance, where the performance would fall in the NAVHDA scoring system, and any strengths of weaknesses in training and handling. Many clinic leaders also include helpful tips and tricks on handling dogs in NAVHDA tests.
Who Should Attend and Why?
- People with their first dog will see how other dogs work and gain insight into what their dog is doing and why. This will help to develop their pup’s talents and improve performance.
- Novice handlers will learn how NAVHDA evaluates versatile dogs, and thus will be better prepared to handle their dogs in a test.
- Experienced handlers will gain a deeper, more technical knowledge of how the team of dog and handler are judged.
- Breeders will learn what to look for in their breeding stock and their progeny, and how to use NAVHDA records obtained through our Search Test Records service for selective breeding.
- Aspiring NAVHDA Judges are required to attend an Aims & Rules Clinic and is one of the first steps in our Apprentice Judge Program.
What you need to know:
- This is a 2 Day Clinic. Basic Tent Camping and use of bathroom facilities are included in the clinic fee. There are also options for RV hookups OR having a bed in a cabin. (These may not be private rooms.). You are welcome to arrive at the Lodge Friday afternoon/evening, and there will be an option to have Dinner Friday night at the lodge when you register. (see below)
- During the Clinic, you will NOT be working with your own dog, you will be observing demonstration dogs. If you bring your dog, they must be quiet, good canine citizens. Please be prepared to have them kenneled or staked out near your vehicle and away from the group. Be aware of the potential for weather/heat. After clinic hours, you can exercise and work your dog on the grounds.
- Prepare by reading NAVHDA Aims, Programs and Test Rules book .
- What to Bring:
- all-weather gear.
- an article of blaze orange clothing
- field boots/shoes. Rubber “muck” boots are useful.
- folding “camp” chair
- clipboard, notebook and pen.
- YOUTH (18 and under) Handlers can apply for the Kristin Rieser Scholarship Fund to cover the base clinic entry fee.
Questions? Wondering if this Event is right for you? Contact email@example.com
Minnesota NAVHDA test refund policies will apply to this event.